top of page

Recent Posts



Do You Know How to Obtain an I-485 or Renew Your Green Card?

For foreign citizens who wish to live and work in the United States or to start a path toward citizenship, the first step is often applying for an I-485 visa, also known as a green card. In today’s complex political and legal climate, application and renewal of a green card is more complex than ever, but an experienced immigration attorney can help. To speak with a Florida immigration lawyer about your case, call the office or contact us today at The Soto Law Office in Altamonte Springs.

Obtaining an I-485 Visa

The I-485 visa form allows a foreign national to apply for permanent residence in the United States or adjust a current immigration status to permanent residence in order to apply for a green card. In addition to filling out the I-485 form, a foreign national must also meet certain criteria for green card status. This can include a family relationship with a current citizen of the United States, employment with a U.S. company, current holding of a K-1 visa after marrying a U.S. citizen, asylum or refugee status, or current status as a foreign citizen.

Hiring an immigration attorney to help fill out an I-485 application for a green card is your best chance at success. Even the smallest mistakes can lead to significant delays or rejection. Sometimes an applicant is required to return to his or her home country while the application process continues. Only a limited number of green cards are issued every year, and the number varies based on your country of origin. A lawyer can explain all issues that may arise with your I-485 visa application.

Renewing Your Green Card

If you already have a green card for permanent residency in the United States, you are required to occasionally renew your green card status and obtain a new card. Green cards expire after 10 years, and the renewal process may take a while to complete. Permanent residents are required to fill out Form I-90 to replace their current green card. If the application to renew is denied, a permanent citizen is not allowed to appeal the decision, but he or she is allowed to file a motion to reopen or reconsider the decision with the immigration office. If this situation arises, it is critical that you have an experienced immigration attorney by your side to make the most persuasive argument possible for why your green card status should be renewed.

To Learn More, Call Today

Applying for and renewing your green card for permanent residence in the United States is a serious matter that should only be handled by the best. If you would like to learn more about how an expert in immigration law can help in obtaining or renewing your green card, call the office or contact us today in Altamonte Springs at The Soto Law Office.

bottom of page